Saturday, May 8, 2010

Marathon Training

I thought I would blog my training so I could look back and see if I have made any progress, or at least discourage anybody else from trying.

This week was my first week of 20 miles. 3 on Monday, 4 on Tuesday, 3 on Friday, and 7 today. I will try to do all my long runs on Saturday. 7 is considered a long run at this point, but in a couple months, 7 will be considered a short run.

I ran with Tom Nilsen, who seemed to push me. Especially the first 4 miles. I was struggling to keep up, but mile 5 and 6 were a slower pace thankfully. I was feeling pretty good except for my knees were a little sore on this run. I was telling Tom (who is a physical therapist) and he said I had TMB. Immediately I was a little concerned wondering if I was going to have to have surgery or something. I said, "what is that?", he said "Too Many Birthdays".

I felt pretty good during mile 6 and most of mile 7. I struggled with the finish up hill and into the wind. At this point still wondering how I could ever go 19 more miles. Makes me want to cry just typing the number 19 more. I think what is more discouraging than that is this run I ran will soon be a short run during the week.

Finished with an ave. 10:16/mile. It is nice to have company on a run, even though I can only listen cuz I'm way out of breath to do any talking. My official 16 week program doesn't start until June 1st but I will try to keep up this schedule over the next few weeks.

3 comments:

Amy N. said...

LOL at the TMB! When I was running a lot I took Glucosamine and Chondroitin and it really helped. I am excited to read your training progress! This year I am glad it is you and not me :)

mom and dad said...

Sorry Kev, sounds like this will not pass. Good luck to you. We will also be praying for you. Love mom

christy jensen said...

Good luck! We will cheer you on. Can you wear a web cam so we can follow you???